Grow all aspects of your business at the International Pool | Spa | Patio Expo
Oct. 28 – Nov. 2, 2018, Mandalay Bay Casino and Resort, Las Vegas
SWIMN Annual Reception
(Supporting Women Industry Wide, Mentors & Networking | swimn.net)
Oct. 30 from 5 to 7 p.m.
In room Islander DE at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas. Registration is required and costs $10. The purpose of the event is to provide mentorship, networking and education to foster new relationships and ideas among women in the pool and spa industry. Heidi Ellsworth, founder of National Women in Roofing, will be the guest speaker, providing insight on how her group was started and grew to 700 members, and how SWIMN can do the same.
APSP WAVE Young Professionals Networking Event
Wednesday Oct. 31 from 4 to 6 p.m.
Border Grill at Mandalay Bay. Admission is $10 for APSP members and $20 for nonmembers. This event is open to all pool and hot tub professionals under the age of 40. Select alcoholic drinks, nonalcoholic beverages and appetizers are included with admission. Due to limited space, reservations of tickets is required. For additional information, email email@example.com or call 703.838.0083 ext. 301.
Wednesday, Oct. 31 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Hosted by Acrylic Tank Manufacturing (ATM), 3451 West Martin Avenue C in Las Vegas (shuttle service from the PSP Expo venue provided). $50 entrance fee. Registration is required (included with the conference Super Pass).
Pool Chasers Mixer
Thursday, Nov. 1 from 4:30 to 7 p.m.
Stoney’s Rockin’ Country, 6611 South Las Vegas Boulevard, #160.
Registration is required; $100
This is an event for like-minded pool professionals who want to network and have a great time. When you RSVP for the event, you will receive access to the taco bar, two drink tickets, a custom Pool Chasers Mixer hat and a custom special numbered pin with a quote on the back for Mixer attendees only. Pool Chasers will also be recording at the facility.
19th Annual Genesis Family Reunion and Winemaker Dinner
Thursday, Nov. 1 at 7 p.m.
Canyon Gate Country Club, 2001 Canyon Gate Drive in Las Vegas. Registration is required; price is $195. Connect with fellow Genesis students, sponsors, faculty and industry personal. Wine selected by Chris Benziger of Benziger Winery in Glen Ellen, California will be provided, as well as a five-course meal prepared by executive chef Ciro “CJ” Cucciniello.
Bill Drakeley, managing member of Drakeley Pool Company in Bethlehem, Connecticut, attends The Expo to see the latest trends. “I get the most out of the show when discussing business with my peers, comparing notes and figuring out unsolved problems,” he says. “ It’s hands down the best [expo] in the industry.”
There are a host of educational opportunities at the Expo this year, so many we can’t list them all. Here are a few you may want to check out.
Don’t Fall In: Avoiding Pitfalls and Traps for the Pool Business Owner
Oct. 31, 7:30 – 9 a.m.
Starting out a pool service and repair company seems simple on paper — get customer, keep pool blue, collect money. Those of us who continue to run successful pool service and repair companies know there’s so much more to it than that. This course will save you from the pitfalls that those new to the business so commonly fall into. This session will be taught at a beginner to intermediate level. It is applicable to small/medium sized companies and is 60 percent residential and 40 percent commercial.
Pool Builders’ Bloopers and Blunders: Lessons Learned From the Mistakes of Others
Nov. 1, 7:30 – 9 a.m.
Review case studies and photos of common construction defects that resulted in costly repairs and law suits so you can learn how to avoid the same mistakes. Bloopers and Blunders is presented in a humorous fashion by charismatic speaker and construction defect expert witness Scott Cohen, president of The Green Scene.
New Federal Pool Pump Regulations: How It May Impact Your Business
Nov. 1, 7:30 – 9 a.m.
New federal legislation will eliminate the poorest performing pool pumps from the market. Just like our pool gas heaters, federal mandated minimum efficiency standards are established that will eliminate some popular models from the market. Attend this class to learn the new rules and how it may impact your business.
Find, Hire and Retain Self-Motivated Workers
Nov. 2, 9:15 – 10:30 a.m.
Brad Humphrey, president and founder of Pinnacle Development Group out of Olathe, Kansas, will present field-tested hiring techniques for improving your workforce. Discussion items will include finding candidates outside of traditional hiring arenas and conducting a thorough and effective interview.
Hayward School of Business
Expo Show Floor, Booth 3027
These show floor seminars focused on sales, lead generation, social media and marketing:
- Wednesday, Oct. 31, 11:30 a.m. Google Adwords
- Wednesday, Oct. 31, 1:30 p.m. Earn More by Selling Less
- Wednesday, Oct. 31, 3 p.m. Is Your Website Providing “The Ultimate User Experience”?
- Thursday, Nov. 1, 11:30 a.m. How to Beat the Internet
- Thursday, Nov. 1, 1:30 p.m. Top Five Qualities Great Salespeople Share
- Thursday, Nov. 1, 3 p.m. Generate Leads Using Digital Technology
- Friday, Nov. 2, 11 a.m. Three Secrets to Sales and Marketing Success
- Friday, Nov. 2, 12:30 p.m. CONTAGIOUS Service!
Commercial Show Floor Education
Expo Show Floor, Booth 3509
Seminars solely for commercial operators and residential professionals looking to expand into the commercial pool and spa market. Registration is highly recommended but not required. Limited seating available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Wednesday, Oct. 31, 12:30-1:30 p.m. Commercial Pool and Spa Leak Detection
- Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2-3 p.m. Community Water Safety — 21st Century Aquatic Engagement through Game Play and Teamwork
- Thursday, Nov. 1, 12:30-1:30 p.m. Preventing Chlorine and Acid Mixing at the Pool: Unintended Releases of Chlorine Gas at Aquatic Facilities
- Thursday, Nov. 1, 2-3 p.m. Hidden Cost of Cyanuric Acid
- Friday, Nov. 2, 11:30-12:30 p.m. APSP Commercial Council:Unifying the Industry through Codes and Standards
APSP Certification Training includes:
- Pool & Spa Construction Course (PSCC) (three days)
- Certified Pool & Spa Service Technician Course (CST) (three days)
- Certified Pool & Spa Maintenance Specialist (CMS) (three days)
- Certified Pool & Spa Hot Tub Technician (CHTT) (two days)
- Professional Pool and Spa Operator Commercial Certification (Hybrid PPSO) (one day)
Genesis Construction, Design and lifestyle classes includes:
- Design 102: Sketching and Freehand Communication (one day)
- Design 107 – Taste of GENESIS / GENESIS Prep
- Design 123: Trends in Outdoor Design
- Design 211: Elements of Design (two days)
- Design 235: The Impact of Color on your Brand
- Design 431: Advanced Color Theory (two days)
- Construction 341: Advanced Construction – Architecturally Integrated Structures and Elevated Watershapes
- Construction 401: Advanced Watershape Construction (three days)
- Business 111: GENESIS Lifestyle Program (Wine Tasting)
- Business 281: Water and Wellness
- Engineering 211: Basic Fluid Engineering (two days)
NSPF Certification training includes:
- NSPF Certified Pool & Spa Operator (CPO) Certification (two days)
- NSPF Advanced Service Technician (AST) Certification (one day)
National Plasterers Council Certification training includes:
- National Plasterers Council Start-Up Certification (NPC) (one day)
- National Plasterers Council Start-Up Recertification (NPCR) (one day)
“Definitely take some classes and educate yourself as much as possible, I try to take away at least one thing from every class that we can apply to our business. And walk the entire show floor to see all the new things that are out there to make your business better.”
co-owner, Brothers Pool Service (Scottsdale, Arizona)
While at the Expo, visit these exhibitors on the Show Floor. You may discover your next B2B partnership as you continue to build a successful pool business.
- APSP – Booth 2537
- Aqua Comb – Booth 2265
- Aqua Creek Products – Booth 1968
- Aqua Products/Fluidra – Booth 2049
- CMP – Booth 1964
- Cover-Pools/Zodiac – Booth 3528/3526
- Grand Effects/Zodiac – Booth 3429
- Hayward – Booth 2823/3023
- National Plasterers Council – Booth 3628
- NC Brands – Booth 2943
- RB Control Systems – Booth 1662
- Pentair – Booth 2111/2321
- Pleatco – Booth 3137
- SCP Pool & Spa Parts – Booth 1034
Companies Mentioned in 2018 PoolPro Articles
- AquaStar Pool Products – Booth 2413
- Broadly.com -Booth 2077
- ControlOMatic – Booth 1776
- Evosus Software – Booth 1831
- Jobber – Booth 3647
- Lunada Bay Tile – Booth 1650
- Poolmaster – Booth 2251
- Poolwerx -Booth 1965
- Structure Studios – Booth 2717
- Taylor Technologies – Booth 3131
- WaterTech Corp – Booth 1411
Come visit PoolPro at booth #1147
“The opportunity to network with so many people at one venue makes it world class for attendees. Nowhere else can you gain so much knowledge and experience at one venue. I have attended the expo for over 20 years now and every year pick up new knowledge and meet new people. It is a great way to get a jumpstart on the next season and learn about great new products.”
president, Bi-State Pool & Spa (St. Louis)